Top 10 best water bottles for hiking - OutdoorGearReviews Guide
Michael Bowie Mar 31, 2023 10:14 AM
When you’re out on a hike, it’s important to stay hydrated. But what’s the best way to carry water with you? There are a lot of different water bottles on the market, and it can be hard to know which one is the best for your needs.
In this article, we’re going to review the best water bottles for hiking, so you can make an informed decision about which one is right for you. We’ll also give you some tips on how to choose the right water bottle for your hiking needs.
Top choices: Best water bottles for hiking
CamelBak Eddy+ Water Filter Water Bottle by LifeStraw Integrated 2-StageFilter Straw - For Hiking, Backpacking, Travel, and Emergency Preparedness - 32 oz Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel, BlackView on Amazon
DISCOUNT PROMOS Custom Sports Water Bottles 22 oz. Set of 10, Personalized Bulk Pack - Reusable, Leak proof, With lids - BlueView on Amazon
- BrandDISCOUNT PROMOS
Nomader BPA Free Collapsible Sports Water Bottle - Foldable with Reusable Leak Proof Twist Cap for Gym Travel Hiking Camping and Outdoors - 22 oz (Gray)View on Amazon
IRON °FLASK Sports Water Bottle - 32 Oz, 3 Lids (Straw Lid), Leak Proof, Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel, Hot Cold, Double Walled, Thermo Mug, Standard Metal CanteenView on Amazon
- BrandIRON °FLASK
32 oz Water Bottle with Sleeve - BPA Free Leakproof Sport Large 1L Plastic Gym Motivational Water Bottle with Straw & Strap & Insulated Neoprene Holder Carrier Bag Great Gift for Kids Women MenView on Amazon
ZORRI Sports Water Bottle Leak Proof, BPA Free Reusable Portable Sports Bottle for Outdoors, Cycling, Camping, Hiking, Fitness, Running, Gym Bottles with Filter, One Click Flip Cap - for Kids/AdultsView on Amazon
SPECIAL MADE Collapsible Water Bottles Leakproof Valve Reusable BPA Free Silicone Foldable Travel Water Bottle for Gym Camping Hiking Travel Sports Lightweight Durable 20oz Dark GreenView on Amazon
- BrandSPECIAL MADE
CHENXUYUN (3 Pack) 700ML Outdoor Sports Collapsible Bottle,Reusable,23oz Leakproof Folding Drinking Water Bottle Portable for Camping, Collapsible Water Bottles（Black, Blue, White）View on Amazon
Last update on 2023-03-31 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best water filter bottle: CamelBak Eddy+ Water Filter Water Bottle by LifeStraw Integrated 2-StageFilter Straw
- Two Stages of Filtration: Stage 1: Hollow Fiber Membrane- Removes 99.999999% of bacteria (E. Coli, etc.), Removes 99.999% of protozoa (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, etc.), Removes 99.999% of microplastics. Filters 4,000 liters (1,000 gallons).
- Stage 2: Ion Exchange Filter- Reduces chlorine and lead, Removes bad odor and taste, Removes organic chemical matter. Filters 100 liters (25 gallons).
- Flip, Bite, Sip: Drink through straw
- Vacuum Insulated: 18/8 Stainless Steel
- Durable: Powder coat finish
Best overalls: DISCOUNT PROMOS Custom Sports Water Bottles
- Sports Water Bottles – 22 Ounce Plastic Sports Water Bottles with Flip Lid are perfect for sports teams, run clubs, outdoor adventures, and more.
- Durable & Fits in Cup Holder Design – Everything you need in a water bottle including a easy carry handle, contemporary design, and contrasting screw on caps with top flip mechanism. These plastic water bottles have a narrow bottom that will fit nicely in cup holders.
- Flip Top – These flip top, leak proof, water bottles are available for bulk purchase and come in Clear, Charcoal, and Blue. Brighten your day with beautiful eye-catching colors.
Best collapsible: Nomader BPA Free Collapsible Sports Water Bottle
- Portable- The Nomader is easy to travel with as it is sturdy and comfortable to drink from. It also rolls up for compact travel and loops around your wrist for easy carry.
- Durable- Made with a flexible, shatter-proof silicone body, the Nomader is tough enough to survive drops and keep you hydrated on the go.
- Leakproof- The patented, sealing twist cap eliminates leaks and spills, and doubles as a spout cover to protect the mouthpiece.
- Healthy- The Nomader is made of 100% food-grade materials and is free of BPA, BPS, PVC, phthalates, lead, and latex.
Choosing the material
Water bottles can be made of 3 different materials: glass, plastic and stainless steel. Each has its own pros and cons.
A bigger bottle capacity means you can drink from the water for longer without having to refill your bottle, but it will also make the bottle heavier and bulkier.
For most light outdoor activities or light exercise, a capacity of 32oz (1 liter) is considered to be sufficient. A capacity of 64oz (2 liters) is optimal for long outdoor activities and hard workout.
The highest bottle capacity is 128 oz (more than 3 liters). Water bottles this big are better transported on a vehicle, making them only suitable for long camping trips or big groups.
A water bottle is either sealed by a small cap or a larger lid.
Bottles with caps are usually more compact and lightweight. The cap will need to be opened before you take a drink, and then sealed away after you are done.
Bottles with lids can usually store more water, most of the biggest water bottle models use lids instead of caps. The large lid entrance allows you to pour water into the bottle more easily. Many bottles with this seal type may feature a spout on the lid so you can drink from the bottle without removing the lid, some even include an integrated straw to make drinking even more convenient.
Double walled bottles and collapsible bottles are some other special designs aside from regular bottles.
Double walled bottles feature two different container layers separated by a vacuum, unlike regular bottles with only one layer. These types of bottles can keep hot water hot and cold water cold for a very long time. Many double walled bottles have their layers made of different material, for example some can have a durable plastic outer layer to protect the more fragile but safer-for-water glass inner layer.
Collapsible bottles are bottles that can be folded, rolled or flattened into a smaller form after use, making storing the bottle away more convenient. However, there have been many complaints about collapsible bottles having holes and tears after long term uses. All collapsible bottles are also made of plastic, which isn’t environmentally friendly and can be harmful to human health.
Can’t I just buy single-use plastic water bottles?
You can, but buying many single-use water bottles will take more from your budget as time goes on. Having a durable water bottle that you can reuse from time to time is much more cost effective.
Environmentally friendliness should also be taken into account. Single-use water bottles are one of the biggest causes of climate change, because the mass production of these bottles produces a large quantity of greenhouse gas every year. The plastic material of these bottles are also non-recyclable.
How do I clean my water bottle?
The best way is to rinse your water bottle with warm water and mild soap. You can use a brush for more thorough cleaning.
What to do if I break my water bottle?
Unfortunately, there is no way that you can repair your water bottle if it gets broken. You will have to purchase a new bottle to replace your broken one.