Top 12 best ice fishing shelter - OutdoorGearReviews Guide
Jessica Bastianich Mar 29, 2023 8:38 PM
If you love ice fishing, then you know that having the best ice fishing shelter can make all the difference. A good shelter will keep you warm and dry, and it can also make the difference between catching fish and going home empty-handed.
There are a lot of different ice fishing shelters on the market, so it can be hard to know which one is right for you. In this blog post, we’re going to give you a few tips to help you choose the best ice fishing shelter for your needs.
CLAM X500 Insulated 90 Gram Full Thermal Trap 63.5 Square Foot 5 Sided Lookout Outdoor Fishing Hunting Hub Tent Shelter with Flex-Tested PolesView on Amazon
Eskimo Outbreak 450XD Pop-up Portable Insulated Ice Fishing Shelter, 75 sq ft. Fishable Area, 4-5 PersonView on Amazon
Eskimo Outbreak 450XD Limited Pop-up Portable Insulated Ice Fishing Shelter, 75 sq ft. Fishable Area, 4-5 PersonView on Amazon
THUNDERBAY 6 Person Insulated Ice Fishing Tent, 300D Oxford Fabric Ice Fishing ShelterView on Amazon
- BrandThunder Bay
CLAM 14469 X-400 Portable 4 to 6 Person 8 Foot Pop Up Ice Fishing Angler Thermal Hub Shelter Tent with Anchors, Tie Ropes, and Carrying BagView on Amazon
Eskimo 69143 Quickfish 3 Pop-Up Portable Hub-Style Ice Fishing Shelter, 34 Square Feet of Fishable Area, 3 Person ShelterView on Amazon
CLAM 14478 C-890 6 Person 11.5 Foot Lightweight Portable Pop Up Ice Fishing Angler Thermal Hub Shelter Tent with Anchors, Tie Ropes, & Carrying BagView on Amazon
Outsunny 4 Person Ice Fishing Shelter with Padded Walls, Thermal Waterproof Portable Pop Up Ice Tent with 2 Doors, Light BlueView on Amazon
KAZINSKI Portable Ice Fishing Shelter for 3-4 Person Thermal Ice Fishing Shanty Tent with Insulated Layer Perfect Ice FishingView on Amazon
Last update on 2023-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
#1: CLAM X500 Insulated 90 Gram Full Thermal Trap 63.5 Square Foot 5 Sided Lookout Outdoor Fishing Hunting Hub Tent Shelter with Flex-Tested Poles
- ICE FISHING SHELTER: 5-sided insulated fishing shelter hub with enough room for 4 to 6 anglers; 63.5-square-foot fishing area with 3 windows per wall; 6.8-foot center height for lots of comfortable headroom
- RETAINS HEAT: Full Thermal trap technology retains heat and reduces condensation; Made of 900 total denier fabric with 90 grams of insulation per square meter
- EXTREME WEATHER: Built to withstand extreme weather conditions; 11-millimeter durable super-duty flex-tested frame poles; Triple-layer corner pockets for durable set-up; Ice anchor straps and strap pockets included for windy conditions
- REMOVABLE FLOOR: Interior velcro strip for attaching removable X500 / X5000 ice shelter floor (sold separately)
- SPECIFICATIONS: Packed dimensions (L x W x H): 63 x 12 x 12 inches; Dimensions (L x W x H): 108 x 108 x 82 inches; Weight: 50 pounds
#2: Eskimo Eskape 2600 Insulated 2 Person Ice Fishing Shelter
- TWO TRUE OVERSIZED SIDE DOORS: Oversized side doors make it easy and convenient to move in and out of the shelter without having to step over your gear.
- STORMSHIELD INSULATED FABRIC: Three-layer, abrasion-resistant, bonded fabric with 80 grams of high-loft insulation providing maximum warmth and a robust barrier against light/wind penetration.
- GRAY INTERIOR: Brightens the shelter interior, making it easier to see and fish.
- SLIDING VERSA SEATING SYSTEM: Allows seats to swivel and slide front-to-back. Lifts up for quick access to gear in the sled.
- ALUMINUM SQUARE TUBING: Creates a lightweight, rigid structure to withstand wind.
- ZIPPERED WINDOW COVERS: Interior windows feature hook and loop fastener tape, along with zippers on each side—allowing full closure and blocking of sunlight.
#3: Eskimo Outbreak 450XD Pop-up Portable Insulated Ice Fishing Shelter
- OVERSIZED, TRIP-PROOF DOOR: The Outbreak 450XD features an oversized, trip proof door that fully zips down to the ice. This means no more catching your foot on the door framework and stumbling with your gear
- MORE FISHABLE AREA: Flared, wide-bottom design provides significantly more fishable area than other shelters on the market
- STORMSHIELD INSULATED FABRIC: Three-layer, abrasion-resistant, bonded fabric with 80 grams of high-loft insulation providing maximum warmth and a robust barrier against light/wind penetration
- GRAY INTERIOR: Brightens the shelter interior, making it easier to see and fish
- STRONGER HUB DESIGN: The Outbreak 450XD features an all-metal ball-and-socket design as well as larger fiberglass poles
- INTERIOR WINDOW FLAP HOOK-AND-LOOP RETAINER STRIPS: With windows open, holds cover panels in place against the wall and out of the way of your heater
- REMOVABLE WINDOW PANELS: Adjust your shelter's ventilation with detachable hook and loop window panels
Ice fishing shelters are designed to protect the angler from the elements. They are usually made of plastic or wood and have a hole cut in the top for fishing.
There are many factors that you should consider before purchasing an ice fishing shelter. These include:
- The size of your shelter
- What type of shelter you want
- How much money you want to spend on your shelter
- Whether or not you need a door on your shelter
Ice fishing shelter has 3 main types and each has its outstanding traits and things to consider
Pros: This type features the largest space with the cheapest price and good heat retention. It can be suitable for many people
Cons: with light materials which are not windproof, it is difficult to set up in bad weather and has a limited range of movement because of fixed piles (auger)
Pros: it is highly portable, easy to install and remove, and it comes with many built-in features
Cons: it is expensive and quite heavy because the original design was to be a toboggan and ice shelter
Pros: it is lightweight and comes with underfloor insulation
Cons: it's difficult to move especially in the snow since it's set up like a tent